Hallo lieber Besucher - Meld Dich kostenlos an und mach mit!
Offroad Forum :: Deutschlands größtes markenübergreifendes und werbefreies Allradforum
Login:    
Melde Dich (natürlich kostenlos) an und log Dich ein - Dann ist das Forum komplett werbefrei.
om616 questions

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    Offroad Forum Foren-Übersicht -> Mercedes Beiträge seit dem letzten Besuch anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
rrnsss
Offroader
Offroader

Mit dabei seit Ende 2006

...und hat diesen Thread vor 6431 Tagen gestartet!

BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 13:20:26    Titel: om616 questions
 Antworten mit Zitat  

I own a vehicle called GURKHA 4x4 which is fitted with a Turbo charged version of the OM616 mated to a G-18/5 gear box. It produces 90 BHP and 18Kg-m of torque. It has a cubic capacity of 2399cc. The engine has no electronic sensors or controllers.

In this respect I have the following questions. I would be much obliged if you can share your knowledge.

1) Is there anyway to slightly bring up the performance of the engine (say to 100 HP ) with out adversely affecting the life or reliability of the engine?

2) Currently my vehicle does not have an intercooler, does fitting an intercooler improve anything? if so what does it improve and why?

3) Currently I am using Mobil Delvac MX SAE 15W-40 for the engine. Is this a good oil to use? Are there other better alternatives ? What are the advantages of synthetic oils ? Do they last longer than the hydro carbon based oils? If so by how much ?

4) Some one said that cleaning the air filter with pressurized air will make the filter ineffective as it will expand the micro-pores that filter the dust. Therefore it is better to change the air filter every time one services the vehicle (every 7000 Kms ). Is this a valid premise?

5) I have purchased an EGT meter along with a RPM meter (w-point input) and plan to install it post turbo. (25 mm away from the exit ). What are the expected temperatures of an OM616 revolving at say 1800 , 2000, 2500 and 3000 rpms ?

6) My engine/vehicle has done 18000 Kms so far. Ever since I bought the vehicle I have been noticing that the engine gets awfully smooth after 25 to 30 minutes of driving ( the engine is not too noisy when cold but is definitely noiser than when it gets warm ) . In other vehicles this would indicate piston slap when cold. When I asked the dealer, he said that it is normal for this engine. Is this true of OM616 engines?

I am posting in English as I do not know how to read, write or speak the german language. Please forgive my ignorance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ram
www.force4x4.com
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
flashman
Vertikalzeppelin, erdgebunden
Abenteurer

Mit dabei seit Mitte 2005

Fahrzeuge
1. Landcruiser HZJ105 Gelbe Plakette - Hmm, immernoch Ökoterrorist, oder?
2. Mercedes ML400cdi Gelbe Plakette - Hmm, immernoch Ökoterrorist, oder?
3. Mitsubishi Pajero V60 3.2DI-D
4. Opel Monty 3.5 V6 LPG Grüne Plakette - 20 Jahre alter Benziner oder wie ist das zu verstehen :-) ?
5. Air Patrol 2.0 Rallye Automobile Randgruppe - Menschen wie Sie braucht unser Land. Und falls nicht, können Sie noch immer in der mittleren Mongolei als Gnu-Dompteur anheuern.
BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 13:48:48    Titel:
 Antworten mit Zitat  

Using an intercooler will always shift up your horsepower. This is due to the higher density of mol. oxygen in the cold air. Most people call a bigger intercooler (or even interating one for the first time into the system) the first step for better performance and tuning. It will even protect your engine a bit, beacause cooler air will help the engine to stay cooler.

Using a synth. oil depends on many factors. For example: A 0W-40 sysnthetic formular oil will beat a competive mineral-oil in any way. It´s thinner in cold condition, so the engine will be cross-oil´ed faster, it´s thicker on very high temperatures and provides a much stronger and more adhäsive oil-film on the surface of the cylinders.
It even cleans up your engine inside and keeps it in best condition.

But with depending on many factors I also mean: A very old engine may only be sealed by oil-coal-dust and with a synt. oil starting up cleaning your engine inside, you may loose this "seals" and it will start leaking. Over 100.000 miles of running, you should expected this. But with 18.000 kml - Not worth to think about it, just use Synthetic and start enjoying it :-) (Have a look in something like the castrol oil-replacement-list, which is best for your car. Some rarely engines do not allow Synthetic to be used)

Personally, I migrated a lot of engines from Mineral to synthetic oil. Had never problems, only best experiences. (Jeep V8, range Rover V8, Nissan SD33TD I6 etc)

Air-Filter: You may think about using a performance replacement filter, like famous K&N. The are washable and work with oil soaked membrans. They provide a much better air-flow, which will also result in more power in higher rpms.

These are the points I can share my knowledge. Because I don´t know the engine in special, I have no ideas about the other things.

Have fun,
Andrew

rrnsss
Offroader
Offroader

Mit dabei seit Ende 2006

BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 14:18:40    Titel:
 Antworten mit Zitat  

Sir,

What about the life of synthetic oil. In india it is almost 3 to 4 times as costly as normal oil , so I was wondering if one needs to change it every 7000 kms like normal oil? If that is so, then it would be very expensive for me.

I will look at K&N filters. Thanks for that tip.

I hope others can shed some light on the EGT etc.

flashman hat folgendes geschrieben:
Using an intercooler will always shift up your horsepower. This is due to the higher density of mol. oxygen in the cold air. Most people call a bigger intercooler (or even interating one for the first time into the system) the first step for better performance and tuning. It will even protect your engine a bit, beacause cooler air will help the engine to stay cooler.

Using a synth. oil depends on many factors. For example: A 0W-40 sysnthetic formular oil will beat a competive mineral-oil in any way. It´s thinner in cold condition, so the engine will be cross-oil´ed faster, it´s thicker on very high temperatures and provides a much stronger and more adhäsive oil-film on the surface of the cylinders.
It even cleans up your engine inside and keeps it in best condition.

But with depending on many factors I also mean: A very old engine may only be sealed by oil-coal-dust and with a synt. oil starting up cleaning your engine inside, you may loose this "seals" and it will start leaking. Over 100.000 miles of running, you should expected this. But with 18.000 kml - Not worth to think about it, just use Synthetic and start enjoying it :-) (Have a look in something like the castrol oil-replacement-list, which is best for your car. Some rarely engines do not allow Synthetic to be used)

Personally, I migrated a lot of engines from Mineral to synthetic oil. Had never problems, only best experiences. (Jeep V8, range Rover V8, Nissan SD33TD I6 etc)

Air-Filter: You may think about using a performance replacement filter, like famous K&N. The are washable and work with oil soaked membrans. They provide a much better air-flow, which will also result in more power in higher rpms.

These are the points I can share my knowledge. Because I don´t know the engine in special, I have no ideas about the other things.

Have fun,
Andrew

I am posting in English as I do not know how to read, write or speak the german language. Please forgive my ignorance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ram
www.force4x4.com
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
flashman
Abenteurer

Fahrzeuge
4. Opel Monty 3.5 V6 LPG Grüne Plakette - 20 Jahre alter Benziner oder wie ist das zu verstehen :-) ?
5. Air Patrol 2.0 Rallye Automobile Randgruppe - Menschen wie Sie braucht unser Land. Und falls nicht, können Sie noch immer in der mittleren Mongolei als Gnu-Dompteur anheuern.
BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 14:36:56    Titel:
 Antworten mit Zitat  

The change-periods of synthtic oil are slightly longer compering to mineral oil. But the higher price is more an investment for the lifetime of your engine. Synthic is always and sure everywhere more expensive than mineral-oil.

So the main goal is, what it does for your engine. It´s not an option to save some money Grins

For myself, I feel better, if I can be sure, my engine is completely protected seconds after the ignition. Even in cold winters. My Jeep (for example) has a tuned transmission which uses much higher shift-points. So my engine will reach up to 3000rpm directly after the cold-start. It´s a must to ensure proper lubrication of all moving parts inside the engine. A mineral oil is in cold temperature so thick, that it will need much longer, to be pumped through all oil-channels and reach all components. And even then, its still to thick, to provide a stable film on very fast moving pistons.

I know, that many people say "When my engine was developed, there was no synthetic oil on the market". OK, when most of these people where born, the where no modern medicine for many diseases available and they even use it today to stay healthy. Heiligenschein

Will say, oil is developed for engines, using experiences of many years. So every old engine will be happy to benefit from new oil technology Ja

There are a lot of threads here about this topic, but as you said, your german is not as well, so I try to summarize it for you. Winke Winke

Best regards from berlin (sunny, 25 degrees),
Andrew Winke Winke

rrnsss
Offroader
Offroader

Mit dabei seit Ende 2006

BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 14:55:03    Titel:
 Antworten mit Zitat  

Sir,

very kind of you to have explained it. And you were very kind when you said my german is not well...actually my german is Zero Grins

I will try to see if I can get synthetic oil. Here where I live , during winter the temperature dips to +20 C and that is in the height of winter at 3.00 AM.

The temperature is between +26 to +35 C almost all the time. Does this have any bearing on the lubrication?

having said that I will check out if any good quality synthetic oil is available here in Bangalore.

Ram
www.force4x4.com
flashman
Abenteurer

Fahrzeuge
BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 15:03:40    Titel:
 Antworten mit Zitat  

Wow...Warm conditions there. YES

At 20 Degrees, the difference between viscosity of mineral and syntethic oil will be very small. With "winter", I thought more about temperatures far below 0 degrees rotfl

So in your case, syntethic oil would be more interesting for keeping your engine inside in best condition and (what is more important) protect it at very high temperatures. Synthetik oil provides, as I already said, a very strong adhäsive oil-film even under heavy load and critical hot enviroment (which may occur much more often than strong winters in Bangalore). The flame-point (don ´t know the right word for) is much higher than in mineral oil and the viscosity (the number 40 in the oil-spec) is even much more stable. Oil will not be too thin.

Have Fun,
Andrew

rrnsss
Offroader
Offroader

Mit dabei seit Ende 2006

BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006 19:12:44    Titel:
 Antworten mit Zitat  

Has any one fitted an intercooler on the Turbo charged OM616? I am thinking of doing that.

Is it a wise idea?

My primary aim is to increase hrose power by 10 hp or so and also to lengthen the life of my engine.

Will it harm any thing even if it does not improve performance?

Ram
www.force4x4.com
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    Offroad Forum Foren-Übersicht -> Mercedes
Seite 1 von 1 Beiträge seit dem letzten Besuch anzeigen || Nach oben
Gehe zu:  
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.
Du kannst Dateien in diesem Forum posten
Du kannst Dateien in diesem Forum herunterladen

Forensicherheit

59654 Angriffe abgewehrt

Zeit für Seitenerstellung: 0.275  Sekunden 

Software: phpBB © phpBB Group :: Extensions: flashman.TV :: Impressum + Rechtliches :: Datenschutzerklärung :: Das Team im Überblick :: Filter- und PN-Ignorier-Einstellungen